Who Should Apply for An Alberta Health Care Card?

Anyone who has moved to Alberta must register to receive their Alberta Health Care Card.

New Residents

All new residents who plan to live in Alberta for 12 consecutive months, need to provide documents that prove:

  • Their identity
  • That they are legally entitled to be in Canada
  • That they have a permanent address

Residents who have moved to Alberta from outside Canada are also required to show:

  • A copy of their Canada entry document, plus
  • Original documents
  • A valid work permit (minimum 6 months), a study permit, or visitor permit for Alberta or a designation as a Convention Refugee with accompanying documentation. Please note that not all valid Alberta permits will automatically qualify the permit holder for health care insurance coverage in Alberta.


International Students
Students who have moved to Alberta to attend an educational institution, may apply for coverage under the Alberta Health Care Insurance plan provided they:

  • Have a 12 month Study Permit and will reside in Alberta for 12 months or more.
  • Have a Study Permit valid for more than 3 months, but less than 12 months, and include a letter with their application confirming their intent to reside in Alberta for at least 12 months.

Students from Out of Province
Students who are from another province or territory within Canada and are attending a recognized educational institution in Alberta, and plan to return to their home province after completing their studies, must remain covered under their home province’s health insurance coverage.

Students In Alberta
Dependant children who are students attending school in Alberta, may stay covered under their parent’s or legal guardian plan if they are:

  • Under the age of 21 years or
  • Under the age of 25 years and attend a recognized educational institution full-time.

Students who are attending a recognized educational institution outside of Alberta and plan to return to Alberta after completing their studies remain covered under their Alberta Health Care.


Alberta residents who reach the age of 65 years, will automatically qualify for free Alberta Blue Cross Coverage for Seniors when they register for either themselves (if they have no dependants) or for family coverage (if they have eligible dependants). It covers health costs that aren’t covered under their Alberta Health Care Insurance plan.

To register at AMA Registries, seniors must provide proof that they are 65 years of age or older by presenting their original birth certificate or passport.

Read for more detailed information about coverage for Seniors.

Related Topics:

What Is An Alberta Health Care Card?
How Do I Register For Alberta Health Care?
How Do I Use My Alberta Health Care Card?
How Can I Update My Alberta Health Care Information?