When and Where is the Next Paper Shredding Event?
You can guard against identity theft by destroying no-longer-needed personal documents – and what better place than at one of AMA’s shredding events. So, mark your calendars as these 2017 events will take place across the province every weekend in April and May and bring up to six boxes of sensitive papers, CDs and DVDs to dispose of. We couldn’t host these events without the generous support of our partner – Shred-It.
The event is FREE however, please remember to bring your AMA membership card as this is a member-event only. Once again, we will be collecting non-perishable food and monetary donations for local foodbanks – so please help support your community.
All shredding events will start at 10:00 a.m. (sorry, no early admittance which helps us be a good community neighbour by minimizing traffic queues before we open). Check the events calendar for further details on location and time.
- Edmonton North – April 1
- Lethbridge – April 1
- Edmonton West – April 8
- Medicine Hat – April 8
- Red Deer – April 22
- St. Albert – April 22 (new location)
- Calgary SE – April 29
- Sherwood Park – April 29 (new location)
- Calgary SE – May 6
- Camrose – May 6
- Grande Prairie – May 13
- Calgary SW – May 13
- Calgary NW – May 27 (new location)
- Edmonton South – May 28
Who Can Attend?
The event is open to all AMA members. Please have your AMA membership card ready.
How The Shredding Events Work
- What’s the cost?
Free with a food bank donation – monetary or non-perishable food items will be accepted. Did you know the food bank can supply three meals from just a $1 donation?
- How does it work?
Most shredding events offer a drive-thru service, but sometimes, you’ll have to park and carry your shreddable items to our trucks – so please dress appropriately.
- Why are the events member-exclusive this year?
After careful consideration, the 2017 events will be member-exclusive to ensure that we can meet the needs of our members. Should a non-member still wish to attend-don’t worry we’ve got you covered, as we will be selling AMA Memberships onsite. Alternatively, both members and non-members can use our secure document disposal service in centre year-round (fees apply.
- The line is really long, can I walk-up with my shredding?
For safety and to be fair to those who are in line before you we can not accommodate walk up service.
- How long will it take?
Average time on site is approximately 30-45 minutes, but please know times may vary according to volume of participants.
- How much can I bring?
Each car may bring up to six boxes (a $50 value) of personal items for shredding. Sorry, our shredding events are for personal document disposal only, not for businesses.
- What can I shred?
To help you prepare for our events, find out which documents to shred and what you should hold onto for safekeeping.
What to Bring
Items that can be shredded:
- Credit card slips, cancelled cheques, and bank receipts
- Banking and investment statements, bills, non-solicited credit card applications
- CD-ROMs/CD-Rs/DVDs, diskettes
- Small staples and paper clips that bind your documents
What can’t be shredded:
- Heavy cardboard, metal, glass, or plastic
- Batteries, lighters, or matches
- Electronics, computer hard drives, or toys
Thanks for your help in checking for, and removing these items as they can cause serious damage to the shredding trucks and our friendly operators.
Get your papers ready:
- Make sure we can shred it – Remove all the items above, as well as large plastic clips or coils (small staples and regular paperclips are fine).
- Make sure you can carry it – Bring all documents in sturdy, easily transportable boxes.
- Make sure you should shred it – Some documents you need to shred regularly, some annually, and some should never be destroyed. Review this list to find out what to shred and what to keep.
Remember: To keep things moving, we must limit each car to six boxes of personal documents and items.