What Should I Bring to Renew My Driver's Licence?

Keep your driver’s licence current by renewing it before its expiry date.  Licence renewals have to be completed in person, so come into any AMA centre, and make sure you bring:

  • Your old driver’s licence
  • Renewal form (optional)
  • Your original work permit, study permit, etc. (if your licence is based on a legal presence document)

You may also need to bring a completed medical exam form:

  • For a class 1, 2, or 4 driver’s licence
  • If you are 75 years old or older
  • If you have a medical condition that could affect your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle

Fees for Drivers Licences

  • First application (5 years or prorated to licence term) – $84.45
  • Renewals (5 years or prorated to licence term) – $84.45
  • Out-of-province  (5 years or prorated to licence term) – $84.45 + $7.35 to close out the out-of-province licence (this notifies the Canadian province you came from that we have issued an Alberta licence)
  • Address/name changes – $22.45
  • Replacements (lost, stolen, damaged, or destroyed) – $22.45
  • Reclassifications – $22. 45

If your driver’s licence expired more than six months ago, you’ll need to provide us with proof of legal entitlement to be in Canada (birth certificate, passport, etc.) as well as proof of your residency in Alberta (utility bill, residential lease agreement, etc.).*

If it expired more than three years ago, you will need to pass the written and road tests before a new driver’s licence will be issued.

*Residency documents typically need to be dated within the past 90 days. For more details, contact an AMA Registries representative.

Alberta’s Organ and Tissue Donation Registry

When you come into renew your driver’s licence, you’ll be able to register your intent and give consent to become an organ or tissue donor, as part of Alberta’s Organ and Tissue Donation Registry. The consent is done at the same time as your renewal at no cost, and by choosing to be a donor you can save up to eight lives.

Find the Nearest AMA Centre

Travelling Abroad?

If you’re planning on renting a vehicle in a foreign country where English isn’t an official language, find out how to get an International Driving Permit. You’ll save yourself the hassle at the rental car agency (and with the police).