What Forms Will I Need When Filing an Insurance Claim?

As you go through the claims process, you may be asked to complete several forms.

The forms listed below are available as PDFs, and you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them.

  • If you don’t have the software installed on your computer, you can download it for free.
  • If you already have the software, but are still experiencing difficulties, you may need to download a more recent version.

The forms are interactive, which means you can complete them on your computer and then save or print a copy for your records or to provide to your insurance company. Alternately, you can print off the forms and complete them by hand.

Proof of Loss Forms

A proof of loss form is a formal document that you must complete in order to make a claim under your insurance policy. You can contact your adjuster to discuss the need to submit a proof of loss form, or your adjuster may provide you with a blank form as required by the Insurance Act.

As well, we may also send you a proof of loss form showing the amount approved by our appraiser, along with a copy of our appraisal.

If you wish, you can also complete and submit a proof of loss form at any point during your claim:

Accident Benefit Forms

If you are hurt in an accident and need to claim the cost of your treatment, you must complete and submit a notice of loss and proof of claim form AB-1 and have your health care practitioner complete a treatment plan form AB-2 within 10 business days from the date of the accident.

If you are not able to work because of your injuries and want to apply for disability benefits, you must complete the front side of the claim for disability benefits form AB-1A and have your medical doctor complete the other side confirming that you are medically unable to work because of your injuries.

These forms can be accessed through the Government of Alberta’s website: