How Do I Order a Death Certificate?
We’re sorry for your loss and want to help you through this difficult time by making it easy to order the death certificate.
Below we walk you through the three steps for ordering a death certificate:
Step One: Decide which type of death certificate you want to order, because Alberta has three:
1. Death Certificate Framing Size: 21.5 cm x 17.8 cm
Included on the framing size certificate:
- The name, sex, age and marital status of the deceased
- Date, time, and place of death
- Usual place of residence
- Registration number and date
2. Copy of Medical Certificate of Death: 21.5 cm x 28 cm
Included on the Copy of Medical Certificate of Death:
- The medical cause of death
- The name of the attending physician or medical examiner that completed the medical certificate of death
Note: A photocopy of the medical certificate of death is completed at the time of death.
3. Copy of Registration of Death
- This is a certified photocopy of the original death registration, not the certificate itself
Step Two: Check your eligibility to apply (pdf).
Step Three: Come in to order your death certificate, or mail us your completed Vital Statistics Request form* (pdf).
If you choose to come in remember to bring:
- Your AMA membership card – this is an AMA/CAA/AAA member service
- One piece of personal identification
- Your completed Ordering Death Vital Statistics form* (pdf)
Once ordered, the death certificate should arrive in the mail within seven to 10 days. If you’d like to have it sooner, you can pick it up in person – just ask us for details.
*To view these Government of Alberta forms in Chrome and Safari save the PDF (right mouse click and Save Link As) and then open it in Acrobat.