How Do I Order a Birth Certificate?
There are three steps to ordering a birth certificate:
1) Decide which type of birth certificate you want to order, because Alberta has two:
- Birth certificate with personal information.
- Birth certificate with personal information and birthplace of parents. When there is only one parent listed on the Registration of Birth, only that parent and their information will appear.
2) Check your eligibility to apply (pdf).
3) Come in to order your birth certificate, or mail us your completed Vital Statistics Request form* (pdf). To view this Government of Alberta form in Chrome and Safari, save the PDF (right mouse click and Save Link As) and then open it in Acrobat.
If you choose to come in remember to bring:
- Your AMA membership card – this is an AMA/CAA/AAA member service
- One piece of acceptable personal identification
- Your completed Application for Birth Documents* (pdf)
Once ordered, your birth certificate should arrive in the mail within seven to 10 days. If you’d like to have it sooner, you can pick it up in person – just ask us for details.
Photocopy of Registration
We can also help you with photocopies of registration, which are certified photocopies of original birth registrations, not an actual certificate.
Call 1-866-989-6370 for product pricing at your local AMA centre, or email your questions to AMA Registries.