How Do I get an In-transit permit?

You need an in-transit permit when moving an unregistered vehicle or trailer in or out of Alberta, from elsewhere in Canada — the permit is not valid outside of Canada.

You’ll need to apply for the permit in person at any AMA centre, and when you come in, remember to bring:

  • Photo ID (government issued)
  • Proof of valid insurance
  • Proof of vehicle ownership – either the bill of sale or Certificate of Title (bring the original, not a copy)
  • AMA/CAA/AAA membership card