How Do I Exchange My Current Licence For An Alberta Driver's Licence?

If you’re moving from within Canada or from a country with a reciprocal licensing agreement, you have 90 days to exchange your existing licence for an Alberta licence.

If you’re moving from a country without a reciprocal licensing agreement, please contact us to find out which steps to take in order to update your licence. Canadians can exchange their licence for an equivalent class of Alberta licence (class 1-7).

Documents You Need to Bring

Before you head over to one of our centres, there are a few things you’ll need to gather up to bring along with you:

1) Your Old Licence
Bring your valid driver’s licence (from your previous province), and one piece of valid identification, as proof that you are legal to live in Canada. Any of the following documents will do, and please visit Service Alberta’s website for a more complete list of acceptable identification and documentation.

  • Valid Canadian passport
  • NEXUS card
  • Canadian Provincial/Territorial Government issued birth certificate
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) Card (Federal issued)
  • Canadian Citizenship Certificate (issued after February, 2012) or Canadian Citizenship Card (issued prior to February, 2012).

2) Alberta Documentation
Bring one document that proves you are now an Alberta resident. Make sure this has your full legal name (not your partner’s name), is dated within 90 days, and has your current Alberta address). Any of these documents will do:

  • Utility, telephone, gas, or cable TV bills (may be: electronic, printed from the internet, or mailed utility statements/paystubs)
  • Bank statement, credit card statement, Alberta Social Benefit Statements or cheques, income tax assessment summary (must be original mailed statement)
  • Written confirmation of Alberta employment including contact name and telephone number (must be current within the last 15 days)

3) Medical Records

You will be asked to submit a medical report (we’ll need to see the original or certified copy) if you meet any of the following criteria:

  • You have a medical condition that affects your ability to drive safely
  • You are 75 years of age or older
  • You are applying to a class 1, 2, or 4 driver’s licence

No Additional Driver Training is Needed

If you’ve moved to Alberta from one of the following countries, you can exchange your valid driver’s licence for an Alberta Class 5 licence without additional training:

  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • France
  • Germany (Deutschland)
  • Isle of Man
  • Japan
  • Netherlands
  • Northern Ireland
  • Republic of Korea
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom (UK) of Great Britain
  • United States

Alberta’s Organ and Tissue Donation Registry

When you come into exchange your licence for an Alberta driver’s licence, you’ll be able to register your intent and give consent to become an organ or tissue donor, as part of Alberta’s Organ and Tissue Donation Registry. The consent is done at the same time as you exchange your licence at no cost, and by choosing to be a donor you can save up to eight lives.

Find the Nearest AMA Centre

Find an AMA Centre