How Do I Apply for a Marriage Licence?

Congratulations, we are so happy for you! Getting married is exciting and we want to help make it all go smooth. One important thing you will need is a marriage licence.

To apply for your marriage licence you and your fiancé will need to come into an AMA centre with pieces of identification noted below. Your licence is valid for 90 days from the date of issue, and only in the province of Alberta.

Bride signing copy-crop-wedding bridal

When you come in remember to bring:

  • Your AMA membership card – this is an AMA/CAA/AAA member service
  • One piece of personal identification for both applicants with your current legal names
  • Personal information for both applicants including:
    • Date and place of birth
    • Religious denomination
    • Mother’s legal name (including maiden name) and place of birth
    • Father’s legal name and place of birth
    • If you or your fiancé is:
      • Divorced, final divorce document such as Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute is needed
      • Under 18 years of age, parental consent is required – ask an agent for details
  • Lastly if you have time you can pre-fill out a Marriage Licence form

What’s the Difference Between a Marriage Licence and a Marriage Certificate?

  • Your marriage licence shows you meet the requirements to get married in Alberta.
  • Your marriage certificate proves that you are legally married.

Introducing Registries Appointments

Book your appointment online to come in and speak to one of our agents at one of the following centres:

  • AMA Edmonton South (780-430-2458)
  • AMA St. Albert (780-418-8930)
  • If you need to cancel or make changes to your appointment within 24 hours of the appointment time, please contact the centre directly.

    Planning a Wedding Outside of Alberta?

    • Marriage licences are always issued from the jurisdiction where the wedding will take place. So, if you’re  planning a destination wedding in another country, you will not need to apply for a marriage licence in Alberta nor will you be issued a marriage certificate in Alberta.
    • If you choose to get married in another country, for instance, Mexico, and do all the legal stuff there – you will end up with a Mexican marriage certificate. That means all records pertaining to the marriage there will always stay in Mexico.
    • To eliminate foreign country legal requirements, you could consider getting married (legally) in Alberta first and then head out to have the ceremony at your chosen destination. It will make it that much easier to access the records down the road.

    To book a destination wedding, talk to one of our Travel Agents or visit your nearest AMA centre.

    Call 1-866-989-6370 for product pricing at your local AMA centre, or email your questions to AMA Registries.