Business Insurance for Retail

You take pride in having just the thing your customers are looking for, whether it’s the perfect set of sneakers or a specialty part that only you carry. We’ll protect your shop and your stock as if it were our own.

Who is this coverage for?

AMA Business Insurance for Retail is perfect for many types of locally run shops, including:

  • Antiques, Collectibles & Art
  • Convenience Stores
  • Food Stores
  • Hardware & Home Supplies
  • Hardware & Home
  • Clothing & Footwear
  • Pet Supplies
  • Hobby
  • Bakery
  • Bookstores
  • Equipment Sales

What’s included in my coverage?

All AMA Business Insurance for Retail packages include the following coverages:

Property Coverage

  • Commercial Building and Contents – This is what you’re here for. This is the primary property coverage for your business, protecting your building, equipment and stock. In addition to basic protection, we’ve put together a package to take care of the specifics for your business.
  • Enhanced Water Endorsement – We all know the damage a spring thaw or summer storm in Alberta can do. This coverage insures you against water damage to your building, stock and equipment caused by a sewer backing up or by flooding caused by heavy rainfall, spring melting or a river or lake overflowing.
  • Contents at Newly Acquired Locations – If you open a new location and don’t get around to telling us right away, we’ll still cover your stuff at your new spot for up to 60 days.
  • Consequential Loss Assumption Including Off-premises Power – This coverage offers protection for your food stock If the power goes off and it kills your refrigeration.
  • Seasonal Automatic Increase – If your restaurant sees wild swings in customer traffic due to the seasons – your ice cream shop is probably carrying a lot more frozen food in the summer than an Albertan winter – we’ll up the limits to cover the extra stock you carry in your busy months.
  • Off Premises in Custody of Sales Representative – This one is exactly like it sounds: if your sales reps are taking property off the premises for their calls, we extend coverage to that property.
  • Exhibition – Like the above, if you’re taking stock or equipment to an expo or a trade show, we’ll cover your stuff while it’s off the premises.

Liability Coverage

  • Commercial General Liability – Alongside your commercial building and contents protection, this is the big one you need to protect your business if something goes wrong and you’re found responsible. This liability coverage provides insurance when you’re legally obligated to pay for injury and damage to others or their property. AMA will cover you for bodily injury, property damage, personal and advertising injury, medical expense payments and tenant’s legal liability.
  • Additional Insured – If your business is required to insure someone else on your coverage — for example a landlord for your building – we can extend your coverage to that person or party as part of your package.

Crime Coverage

  • This one’s pretty straightforward: it protects you against losses caused by theft, robbery, employee dishonesty or counterfeiting.

Business Interruption Coverage

  • If the worst happens and you suffer a loss that forces you to close the business while you recover, this coverage will replace the lost income.

Every Business Insurance package comes with a number of other coverages and safeguards in addition to those listed above. For full details, speak to one of our Business Insurance Advisors.

What other coverages are available?

What’s listed above are just some of the standard coverages included in our Business Insurance for Retail package. We know that every business is unique, and sometimes you’ll need to add coverage to fit your needs when you’re on the job. That’s why we offer additional coverages that you can add on, including:

  • Equipment Breakdown – If your business operates with some complex equipment – say the commercial cooking appliances in a bakery, for example – this additional coverage can be added to cover that equipment should it break down.
  • Miscellaneous Property Form — This coverage protects your property when it’s on the move. If you’re constantly taking your tools from job to job, this is what you need to cover it when it’s away from your work space or office.

Ready to get down to business?

Give our agents a shout at 1-800-615-5897 and they'll be happy to give you a quick, no obligation quote. Or, you can visit us in centre - we love to mingle with our favorite business owners!