It’s that time of the year when Food Banks are preparing for the holiday season and are turning to the communities for their continued support.
Sadly, there’s been a record increase in food bank usage across Alberta. You may even know of someone who has fallen on tough financial times trying to make ends meet and put food on the table.
No family or individual should go hungry at any time of year and especially during the holidays. Just as everyone deserves to sit down and enjoy a hot meal and treats, every child also deserves to have a toy to play with on Christmas morning.
Let’s Work Together
At AMA, all Albertans are practically family to us. We’re ready to do our part and you can help too, through AMA’s Fill our Fleet program, now in its fifth year.
Together, we can make the holidays a little more heartwarming by:
- Donating at an AMA Centre: Between December 10 – 17, every AMA centre will be collecting new, unwrapped teddy bears and toys, and accepting monetary donations on your behalf to give to local Food Banks. Food Banks can use the money collected to purchase things they need to keep the shelves stocked with items that may be low in stock and/or high in demand.
- Stopping by to visit with Santa: Get your holiday pic taken at select AMA centres on Saturday, December 10. Photos are free to all members who show their AMA membership card and bring a new toy or monetary donation for the Food Bank.
- Donating Online: You can also choose to support your local Food Bank by donating online through their secure donation site.
Our pledge: For every toy donated, AMA will donate $5 to local food banks up to a maximum of $50,000.
Just The Stats
- For every dollar donated, Food Banks can provide three meals. So, last year, with your help, we donated close to $40,000 which was the approximate equivalent of 120,000 meals served to Albertans across the province.
- In addition, AMA staff gave the gift of time (over 350 hours) to help fundraise and volunteer at their local Food Banks and across the province.
- We collected enough new teddy bears to fill 16 pallets (two flatbed trucks).
Thank you for helping others celebrate this holiday season.
Find out more about Fill Our Fleet.