How to insure your summer toys

Does your perfect Sunday involve hauling the RV out to Lake Louise with the kids and the dog? Busting out the ATVs at Nordegg? Or making waves with the boat at Alberta Beach? How about bringing out the vintage convertible for a cruise down Whyte Ave.? If so, you need the right insurance for all those summer toys.

Recreational Vehicles

RV insurance covers your travel trailers, motorhomes, camper units, tent trailers and fifth wheels in case of loss or damage. For coverage against fire, theft and collision, you can add your RV trailer to an auto policy or, if you also want contents coverage a home policy may be a better option. There are pros and cons to each choice, so you’ll want to speak to an insurance advisor to find out what works best for you.

RV trailers are covered under your auto policy for liability but only while they’re attached to your vehicle. When detached, liability insurance is an available add-on to an RV policy that’ll help protect you in case you’re found responsible for damages to another person, their vehicle or their property.

Since motorhomes and camper vans are vehicles themselves, they always need their own auto policy in order to be out on the road.


Your home insurance policy has limited coverage when it comes to protecting your boat. If your boat is above a certain length, value or horsepower, you may need to purchase additional coverage to properly protect your boat.

One option is to add floater which provides coverage beyond what’s in your home policy. The other option is to purchase a stand-alone boat policy. Your insurance advisor can help you determine exactly what you need.

When towing your boat, the trailer will have liability coverage while it’s attached to your vehicle, but the boat must have coverage under your home policy in order for it to be insured for physical damage.


Unlike boats, all-terrain vehicles are not covered under your home policy. You’ll need to add coverage to your existing auto insurance policy to cover you for liability in case someone gets hurt or if you unintentionally injure someone or damage their property, and then add more coverage to protect against physical damage to the ATV.

If you’re hitting the trails on any public land, insurance is required by law, just like with your car. If you’re ripping it up on your own property, it’s not a legal requirement, but it’s definitely a good idea in case someone gets hurt or you wreck your rig.


Like any other vehicle on the road, you’ll need standard insurance (liability and accident benefits) for your motorbike and possibly extra coverage like collision or comprehensive if you’re worried about it getting damaged or stolen.

Motorbikes are rated seasonally by AMA, so if you’re our customer, you don’t have to worry about taking your insurance off when you can’t ride during the winter months; we’ve already accounted for those months in storage in the price.

Roadsters, Sports Cars and Seasonal Vehicles

When it comes to that sweet ride you only bring out in summer, if you remove coverage (liability or collision) to save money when the colder months come around, just remember to put the coverage back on before hitting the road come spring.

We actually recommend keeping your comprehensive coverage year-round to protect you in case of theft, vandalism or fire.

Classic Cars

If you’re going to be driving your classic car on the road, it needs liability coverage like any other car. A typical auto insurance policy can take care of you just fine, but your baby's special, and you might want to look into insurance that recognizes that. Classic car insurance tends to cost less than traditional insurance since the cars are driven less often, but it also takes your ride's unique value into consideration to make sure you’re fully covered.

You’ll also want to be sure you have comprehensive coverage to protect your car from fire, theft and other types of damage, even while it’s in storage.

Since 1962, AMA has been providing reliable auto insurance to Albertans. We are proud of our strong Alberta roots and our history of protecting what matters most to you.