Your car’s oil is the lifeblood of its engine. It provides the right lubrication so that you don’t grind to a halt, but after a few thousand kilometres oil gets dirty and needs to be replaced. Learn how to change your car’s oil with our short, hands-on video tutorial and don’t forget to check your vehicle’s manual for a recommended oil change schedule.
How to Check Your Car’s Oil: Step-by-step
- Open your car’s hood.
- Look for the oil dipstick. It’s usually yellow and may be labelled as “OIL.”
- Pull out the dipstick.
- Wipe it clean to remove residual oil, then put the dipstick back.
- Remove the dipstick again.
- Hold the dipstick horizontal and look for the minimum/maximum indicators. If your oil is between the two, the level’s okay.
- Look at the colour. If it’s amber to dark brown, it’s likely still fine. If it’s black or sludgy, it’s time for an oil change.