Three cheers for the Family Day long weekend! This year, Family Day Long weekend runs from Feb 13 to 16 . Not sure what you’re doing yet? We’ve made a list with a few ideas to get you started (with a few ways to save money too). Have another great way to spend time with your family? Tell us on our Westworld Facebook page.
1. Hang Ten with the WEM Surf Club. Every Thursday evening and Saturday morning Canada’s largest shopping mall offers 90-minute lessons in the World Waterpark. Book ahead of time because spots can fill up quickly. If surfing is not your thing, but you still want to have fun at the mall, save on a West Edmonton Mall Choice Pass when purchased at an AMA centre.
2. Go cross-country skiing. It’s the perfect way to marvel at the mountain scenery. Avoid the long-weekend crowds and head to Waterton Lakes National Park, which offers two five-kilometre return designated trails – Cameron and Dipper – that will challenge any skill level. Save 7% on a Parks Canada Discovery Pass when purchased at an AMA centre.
3. Venture out to Indiana Jones and the Adventure of Archaeology: The Exhibition at Telus World of Science Edmonton, on until April 6. Ancient museum artifacts meet Hollywood movie props. Even the little ones will enjoy finding and scanning hidden artifacts with their super-cool tablets. Members save 10% on tickets at TELUS World of Science Edmonton. If you’re in Calgary, TELUS Spark features Dinosaurs in Motion until June 28 with 14 fully interactive, life-size metal dinosaur sculptures.
4. Take a trip to the theatre for family movie night. Check out the new G-rated Paddington, where everyone’s favourite young bear is in for more than one comic misadventure in his search of a home. Or see Strange Magic, a new G-rated, animated film that’s a madcap fairy tale musical inspired by “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” Members save more than 20% on Cineplex movie tickets purchased at an AMA centre.
5. Spare some time for bowling at the Fairmont Banff Springs Bowling & Entertainment Centre. Wear white to stand out in the neon blacklight on weekends and warm up those pipes to cheer on dad if he gets a turkey. Looking for a deal on bowling close to home? AMA members save 20% at any Bowl Alberta location.
6. Get outside with the family for some fresh air. Take advantage of our crisp winter weather and head out for a family skate. Or up the competition factor and challenge the family to a tobogganing race at your local hill, try parents vs. kids or boys vs. girls.
7. Watch king penguins strut their stuff. If you’re in Calgary, head to the Calgary Zoo, where the popular Penguin Walk is back. Join Caesar, Arthur, Solomon, Tut, Diana, Grace, and Hera, the zoo’s resident king penguins on their daily walk, which starts at 11 a.m. at the Penguin Plunge. AMA members save 20% on admission at Calgary Zoo.